October 2, 2007

Oh say, can you see?

I’ve been retired from the military for 4½ years now. I live far enough away from the local Air Force base that I don’t ever go there. However, I recently decided to go back to college and I chose one that just happens to hold classes on the base. So once a week I go to class and I get to see military life once again.

Today I got to class early and was sitting in my truck when I heard a trumpet blowing over the base’s public address system. It was the same sound that plays on every Air Force base in the world at 5PM every week day. The ditty played by the trumpet signals the end of the duty day, and right after it finishes the National Anthem is played.

What happens then is something everyone should see. The base stops. Literally, everything stops. Every person outside snaps to attention and faces the music. Those in uniform present a sharp salute while the music plays. Civilian clad people put their right hand over the heart. Every vehicle pulls over to the side of the road and the passengers sit at attention.

It's incredible to witness.

It’s a daily ritual for those who live and work on base. But for someone like me who hasn’t seen this in many years it was a reminder of the love our service men and women have for this country. Their reverence for our National Anthem is nothing compared to their willingness to defend the freedoms we all enjoy every day.

It’s not a game to them, or a political statement. It’s defending the Constitution of the United States and the principles it sets forth. They are willing to die for this country because they know our way of life hangs in the balance, and if they didn’t do what they do, America would be a very different country.

Good or bad, for better or worse, the United States of America is truly the greatest, smartest, bravest bunch of people on planet Earth. And the reason we’re so blessed is because we founded this country on Biblical principles, and as we see those principles slowly removed from our schools and legal system and television and movies, we can only expect the greatness of this country to slowly go away with them.

“God, thanks for blessing this country so much. Please help those of us who are still working to keep it great, and protect those who are fighting to keep it safe. Amen.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow all I can say is that you are a great writer! Where can I contact you if I want to hire you?

Bret L said...

Thanks for the kind words. Post another comment with your contact info in it, and I'll contact you.