October 17, 2007

Affirmation

When someone we know dies, we usually bounce back by finding life in the things around us. I had a much needed life affirming experience tonight by going to a church near Austin to play at a youth event.

Youth events are fun. Kids have an enthusiastic way of celebrating life that is invigorating. They jump up and down, they sing, and yell, and clap and laugh. The kids tonight seemed to get it too. They raised their hands and praised God as we played our praises to our king. They really seemed to get it.

Afterwards something happened that has never happened before; kids came up to me to talk. This never happens. I’m a drummer. Drummers sit in the back, out of the limelight. Usually people want to talk to the lead singer, or the cool guitar player. Not the drummer. But there they stood, two young girls who told me they were in the drum line at school. We talked for a bit and they thanked me for playing at their church. It was nice.

If that wasn’t odd enough, I actually had 4 people ask me for my autograph. Whoa! That was kind of strange, writing my name on something so they could keep it. Would it end up in a scrap book, or a frame, or maybe the trash? I suspect the last choice, but I’m not used to people wanting my signature unless it’s on a contract or a traffic violation.

However, the event was fun. The kids and adults all had a great time. God was praised, and hopefully those who were only visiting with friends we impacted by the event and will begin to seek God.

“Father, thanks for the gift of music you have given me. I love using it to praise you. Please let my meager talent help inspire others to begin questioning what You’re all about, and hopefully find the salvation that I have. Amen”.

No comments: