October 24, 2007

Dying to Change

It’s interesting how we change over time. The things I liked in my youth aren’t necessarily the same things I like now. Take broccoli. As a kid I’d have stuck my tongue on a flaming piece of jagged glass before I’d let broccoli go in my mouth, but now I like it. I don’t know why.

A year ago my wife and I lived in another house. It was in a newer neighborhood so our mailbox was one of those tiny cubes in a large box of other cubes where everyone in the sub division got their mail. I checked the mail, every day. It was an obsession really. I had to look in there to see what treasures had magically appeared in the small box. Would I get a new catalog? Or maybe a TV Guide? Or maybe Ed McMahon had finally mailed my check!? I had to know!

My wife on the other hand didn’t check the mail. Ever. Getting mail out of a 4X6 cube next to several hundred other 4X6 cubes didn’t interest her at all.

Then we moved, and now we have a mailbox right in front of our house. A real mailbox with a door that swings down and everything. But I don’t look in it. I don’t know why but since we moved 11 months ago my wife checks the mail every day and I’ve looked in the mailbox maybe 20 times. Odd, huh?


The biggest change I’ve seen in myself the past few years has been who I’ve become as a person. The things that interested me before I found Christ don’t interest me now. It isn’t because I’ve “made” myself act like a Christian though, and at first I didn’t really understand why I had simply lost interest in doing the things I had done before.

As I’ve grown as a Christ follower I’ve come to understand that it’s about dying. When I gave my life to Christ I died and was reborn a new person. I know it sounds corny but I can tell you it is a real phenomenon. I simply don’t have the desire to do the things I used to do, because they have been replaced by Christ living in me.

It’s interesting how we change. I think I’ll go check the mail.

“Jesus, thank you for your sacrifice on the cross. Thank you for saving me and moving in to the neighborhood of my heart. It’s a much better place to live now. Amen”.

No comments: