October 12, 2007

Bubba

We lost one of our own today. Bubba Pruett, a brother in Christ and my friend, passed away today after a motorcycle accident two nights ago. Bubba’s story is one of transformation and the redeeming power of Jesus’ blood. Bubba was into a lot of bad things in years past that led him to prison. He found something there he wasn’t expecting: salvation.

Bubba was a true Christ follower. A big, barrel chested man who rode a Harley and could scare the stripes off a skunk if you didn’t know he had a saved heart. He always had a big bear hug for me when I saw him at church because we were both bike riders and probably the only two Houston Texans fans in this city.

He was an inspiration to me, as well as everyone around him. He preached at church one day. He began his sermon by riding his Harley from the parking lot into the Sanctuary and up to the stage. He wasn’t burdened by ego; he just loved Jesus and never hesitated to tell people about it. And after he had said everything he wanted to say in his sermon he simply looked at the congregation and said “That’s all God wanted me to say”, and he walked off.

My heart is sad that I won’t see him at church any more, but even in my grief I’m happy that Bubba knew Jesus as his Savior and he is with Him now.

“God, I pray for those that have a giant hole in their heart where Bubba used to be. Give us strength in this time of pain as we are reminded that life on this Earth is short, and that there is a new life waiting for us when we pass from this one thanks to the sacrifice of your Son. Amen.”

“Oh, and say hi to Bubba for me. Thanks.”

No comments: