August 27, 2007

The Salvation of Hypocrisy

One of the hardest things about being a saved person is that people like to single you out and ridicule you in order to prove your “religion” is a crock. Unfortunately we make it pretty easy for them because we make mistakes; and when we make those mistakes they call us hypocrites.

No one is perfect. Well, actually there was one perfect person but He had the advantage of being the son of the creator. The rest of us are human, and being human means we have the undesirable quality of being sinful. We’re born of sin, the original sin of Adam and Eve. We’re predisposed to it. That’s not an excuse, it’s a fact.

Women got the short end of the stick here. Man was created first and then woman was made from the flesh and bone of the man, so the sinful flesh of man was used to build woman. So it isn’t really a surprise that Eve ate the apple. Then she gave it to Adam, who at this point has no excuse. He knew better, but he gave in to the feminine wilds of Eve. She used the same tactics every woman in history has employed at one time or another… “Do as I say or I’ll cut you off!”

Poor Adam never stood a chance.

Anyway, we’re sinful. It’s unfortunately part of our DNA it seems, and becoming a saved person doesn’t change that completely. There will be a lot of changes in your life. The desire to do the wrong things seems to go away. Not completely though. You still have to make decisions about good and bad, you just have to allow Christ to work in your life and remember that you’ve been released from sin.

Let’s face it though, the world is corrupt and you’re blasted with it all day long. Just about everywhere you look there is something promoting sin.

Unfortunately Christians are held to a standard they can’t possibly live up to. We are not perfect. I get mad sometimes and lose my cool. This sometimes results in words I’m not proud of. When I calm down I feel horrible. It’s a great trick of the enemy to make you feel guilty, and when you feel guilty you don’t feel you deserve salvation, and when you don’t feel you deserve salvation you give up. When you give up, Satan wins.

The truth is you get salvation whether you think you deserve it or not because that’s how much God loves you.

Christians will always be called hypocrites because we’re not perfect. It’s compounded by bozos who are put in charge of mega churches and then they turn around and have long standing affairs with women who are not their wives, and sometimes other men. It becomes even worse when you see these Catholic “priests” abusing small boys. Oy. It makes me sick, but it’s a fact that the forces of evil are constantly working to break down those who represent the church.

When I mess up and someone says “how can you call yourself a Christian when you sin?” I tell them I’m not a hypocrite because I sin; I’m human. If I consistently lived a sinful life then I would be a hypocrite. Making an occasional mistake, like saying a swear when I hit your finger with a hammer, doesn’t make me any less saved, it just means I’m flesh. It also serves to remind me of how incredible Christ’s sacrifice was. Even though I’m so imperfect He still loves me! Even when I’m weak, He remains strong. Even when I’m ashamed, He still claims me. So even in my hypocrisy, I still have salvation.

“If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself”. 2 Timothy 2:13

It’s a long climb to perfection… and I’m still trying to find the ladder.

“God, I’m sorry I sometimes act like an idiot. I don’t mean to, and I don’t want to. Please give me the strength and wisdom to overcome those times when Satan tries to get a victory. Amen”

No comments: