August 8, 2007

18

My daughter turned 18 last week. Yes, that makes me old. Well, old-er. It’s an amazing thing watching your children grow up. It’s also very sad, at least for me it is. My wife says I’m more emotional than most people though. So emotional in fact that I’m just a couple of wine coolers and a chick-flick marathon away from being a woman. She cracks me up.

The Bible says “… a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife…” Genesis 2:24.

It doesn’t say anything about the girl shall leave her father and go off to college! When did we start thinking this was a good thing? I know, I know, I’m a dad and she’s my little girl. Well… YEAH! What’s college going to do for her anyway? So what if she becomes extra smart and does well in life and become the President!? I think the Amish are right and you should only go to school until the 6th grade and never, ever leave home!

Congratulations Sweetie. I'm very proud of you and I hope college is a blast. Call every now and again.

“God, be with my little girl as she begins life on her own. Help her through the tough times, but not so much she doesn’t learn anything from the experience. Keep her close to you and protect her. Thanks.”

1 comment:

Kyle Burkholder said...

hey bret -

we love your blog!! keep up the great work...

kyle and stef