August 14, 2007

It's a dog eat cat world

My wife loves animals. Seriously, she loves animals. She’d be the PETA poster child if they’d let her. Well, actually I think she's asked… at least that’s what the restraining order says. Just kidding honey.

Her love of animals and my realistic view that animals are great pets, but they’re ANIMALS, has made for an interesting marriage. She had two dogs when we met. A large brown Chow/Labrador mix which is scared of its own shadow, and a small black Cocker/Satan mix that was her baby.

The little black dog was definitely her favorite. It slept in the bed and got its water from a cold pitcher kept in the fridge. I have an allergy to dog dander, but the dog being in the bed seemed to mean a lot to her. That ended one morning when I got up and went to the bathroom and came back just in time to watch the little black dog walk over to my side of the bed and sneeze on my pillow. It became a matter of the dog or me. I barely won.

The little black dog has since left us for where ever dogs go when they die. I didn’t like the dog, but I have to say it was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done to watch her be put down after a spinal injury that left her crippled.


My daughter really wanted a cat, so we knew right where to get one… my mother-in-law. You all know her. She’s the little old lady down the street that lives alone and has a few thousand cats. She’s harmless, and actually very nice, but the cats are everywhere.

We went over and my daughter picked out her cat. Since there are so many cats there is a lot of inbreeding, so this cat had no tail. As we were discussing the cat I saw a cute little Calico kitten and decided to take it also so the inbred would have someone to play with. My mom-in-law said that both of the kittens were boys, so we named the tail-less kitten “Bob”, as in bobtail, and the Calico we named Harley, because of the orange and black Harley Davidson colors.

Well, 3 days later we took the kittens to the vet for their first visit. The vet picked them both up, inspected and said “Yeah, they’re both female”. LOL. Figures, I already lived in a house with 2 women and 2 female dogs. I thought the 2 male cats would even the odds a little bit.

I told my kid to rename the cats, which she declined. I’m not sure if it’s because she “liked the names” as she said, or if she was just too lazy. But anyway, we have two female cats named Bob and Harley. Interestingly enough I learned recently that all Calico cats are female. Who knew?

Anyway, this article has no real lesson or point. I just liked the picture I found and wanted to use it somehow.

No comments: