August 25, 2008

Olympians

The Olympics are over. They closed just as grand as they opened, with a spectacular show. You gotta hand it to the Chinese, they went all out to impress the world, and they did.

I didn’t get to see any of the basketball games until the gold medal round. I set my alarm for 1:30am and got up. It was worth it, the game was exciting, and close. I was happy to see the “Redeem Team” win, and I also enjoyed seeing how it affected the players. They were really overjoyed. They jumped up and down and hugged and yelled and were genuinely overwhelmed by winning the gold. That says a lot about what the Olympics can do.

The entire basketball team was rostered with professional NBA players. They’re all millionaires and most of them have been on teams that have won an NBA Championship. So they all know how it feels to win the big one. But not this big one. To win a gold medal in the Olympics is something special, and to see people like Kobe Bryant, a 3 time NBA champion and MVP, acting like a little kid who just woke up on Christmas day, really shows the power of the Olympic games.

The past two weeks were fun. I didn’t think I’d get in to it, but I ended up tuning in almost every day. I enjoyed the competition, the joy and the sorrow, the wins and he defeats. It was a blast.

“God, it was neat seeing the world come together for two weeks in harmony. Help us to keep it going. Amen.”

No comments: