August 20, 2008

The Gift of Life

I’m sitting in a waiting room at a hospital this morning. I’m not here for myself, but for my brother-in-law, Jim. He wasn’t in an accident, or diagnosed with an ailment requiring surgery. He’s donating an organ.

What is it that drives a man to simply tell a friend on dialysis “Hey, take one of my kidneys.” I mean, it’s one thing to say it, but to actually undergo a major, 3½ hour surgical procedure that will literally take about 6 weeks to recover from, just to help out a friend? Well, that’s a special person.

Jim is a great guy, and I love him. I can only hope that some day I will be as unselfish and giving as he is.

“God, guide the surgeon’s hands and let this sacrifice Jim is making be completely successful so his friend will no longer be tethered by dialysis. And touch both of their hearts through this experience that they might find their way to a relationship with you. Thanks.”

No comments: