September 27, 2007

The Long and Winding Road

It’s been a few days since I’ve written. I travel at times for business, which I enjoy. There’s something about staying at a hotel that appeals to me. Perhaps it’s arriving back at my room after a day of grinding my nose to find a neatly made bed and fresh towels in the bathroom.

It’s a simpler life on the road; an early morning buffet breakfast, and a short drive to the job site, lunch on the company and then back to my room where dedicated house keepers have whisked away the mess I created the day before. Another meal on the company and the evening is mine to explore the city I’m in or just relax in my room and watch a movie.

I know, rough life, right? I try not to lose sight of what’s important when I travel to these places and live the pampered life. I think about Paul, the consummate road warrior and how he spent years traveling to many countries planting churches and spreading the Good News.

He lived by the goodness of others, inspired by Christ and motivated by a Savior who gave him a mission he didn’t take lightly. He didn’t have his bed made for him every day, he didn’t have an expense account, he traveled coach and he never knew if his arrival would be met with compassion, or stones.

There are still people like Paul on this Earth. People who don’t need, or ask for much. Their desire is to spread the Gospel by any means possible.

These people are my heroes, and when I travel I always do my best to tell at least one person about the saving grace of Jesus. Because we can all be road warriors, even if it’s just crossing the street to talk to our neighbor.

“God, thanks for the work you’ve given us. Give us the courage to talk to others about you, even when we’re not at home. Amen.”

No comments: