September 8, 2007

How I Wasted My Life

I was talking with someone a while back who asked me, “What if you spend your whole life going to church and everything, and then die only to find out that there really isn’t a God. How are you going to feel knowing that you wasted your whole life?”

The answer was simple, “Ok, let’s say I’m on my death-bed and my life flashes before my eyes. What I’ll see is a man who lived his life helping the poor, the sick and the infirmed; who gave money to organizations (including the church), who used it for programs that among other things, fed and clothed the homeless, and supported missionaries who spent their lives helping people in other countries who had less than nothing. I didn’t lie, cheat, steal, kill, treat others badly, backstab, backbite or harm others. I took time to participate in programs to help the homeless, the abused and the orphaned. I fought injustice and untruths. I voted for people who I believe had good moral standing and hopefully a relationship with Christ. I stood tall in what I believed and because of the presence of His Holy Spirit in my life, whether real or perceived, I was happy every day. I didn’t go through life with a scowl on my face and a disgruntled attitude, I didn’t sweat the small things and I found good in everything.“

“How exactly did I waste my life?”

The fact is the Bible doesn’t teach us to be religious. The Bible is a roadmap of how to live a good life. A life of spreading love and doing good things for those around us. If you strip out the parts of the Bible that pertain to God and Christ, what you have left are the basics of living a good life. You also have the very laws that we live by: don’t kill, don’t steal, etc.

So if I live my life according to the Bible, how could I go wrong? And the bonus is that I also found salvation and when this life is over, there’s going to be an even better, eternal one waiting for me.

“God, I know that you’re real. I see you every day in everything around me. Please continue to give me opportunities to show others of your existence and give me the wisdom to introduce you in a way that will be undeniable to them. Thanks.”

No comments: