July 28, 2007

Under the Bridge

Robert Vallejo is an interesting man. He had a business, lots of money, a big house and a nice car. You know, the usual trappings of a secular life based on today’s standards.

Then one day God sat him down and had a little one on one. He told Robert there were a lot of people downtown living under the bridges. They need food, clothing, and salvation. Go and help them.

Robert was a changed man. He gave up his business and went downtown under one of the bridges and tried to talk to the homeless people there. They were not receptive, however, especially to someone trying to tell them about Jesus. Robert had a lot of bad stuff happen to him, but he kept going back and after a while he began to establish a relationship with them.

Today Robert is the Pastor of “Seek the Lost Ministries Church”, which is solely dedicated to helping the homeless. He has a van and a trailer to carry his Public Address system and chairs and tables. He goes downtown about 6 days a week and sets up his tables and serves a meal and gives out clothes to the poor and homeless.

Rev Vallejo has a lot of help these days. Each week a different church in town volunteers to bring the food and clothing to the “Under the Bridge Ministry” as we call it. They also provide musicians to sing praise songs and a pastor to give a sermon.

It’s an incredible ministry, one that I’ve participated in several times. Today I played drums for the band and as always, it was a spiritually uplifting event.

The first time I went I was pretty intimidated by the environment. Seeing these homeless people was a bit daunting because I didn’t know they were even there. It was squalor. The smell of urine was overwhelming.

Homeless people have very little, and what they have they keep very close so no one can steal it. Most of them wear every article of clothing they own just so they won’t lose any of it. Even in 90 degree weather some of them were wearing coats and hoodies, at the same time.

I wanted to remember this experience so I took out my camera and aimed it across the street where a group of people stood, and snapped a shot. The immediate eruption of obscenities and threats aimed back at me quickly taught me that homeless people don’t want their picture taken. I found out later it’s because some of them are wanted criminals. Needless to say, I kept my camera pointed the other way the rest of the day.

We started with the praise music. I played guitar that day and sang with 3 others. After we finished the pastor gave his sermon, and then we lined everyone up for the food.

The meal consisted of a chicken quarter, Mexican rice, refried beans, a vegetable and a fruit. The homeless folks knew the drill well and lined up. It didn’t take long to realize there was a problem though, someone didn’t bring enough chicken. The main part of the meal and we ran out almost immediately. I was scared. These people rely on this weekly meal to live and we showed up without enough food.

I thought there was going to be a riot. I was at the end of line handing out fruit and plastic utensils. I very cautiously watched everyone come through the line and had my escape route laid out in my mind in case trouble started.

The procession continued though with out incident. I was relieved. Soon we ran out of rice, then veggies, then fruit. By the time the last 10 or 15 people came through all that was left were refried beans.

As the last person came through the line he stopped to take utensils from me. All he had on his plate was a glop of refried beans. Then something happened that I’ll never forget. He looked at me and with the most sincere, humble voice I have ever heard he said “Thank you so much for this”.

I was blown away. Here this man stood with a plate of nasty, runny beans that I would have thrown in the trash, and he thanked me for it. He was truly happy and grateful to have it.

After that day I made the decision that there are no bad days in my life. I have shelter. I have food. I have a family. There are no bad days in my life.

I think we can all learn from this. Jesus was a lot like this man. This grateful, homeless, man. Christ lived on the hospitality of others. He didn’t own anything and didn’t need anything. He just wanted to teach people the Good News. He was grateful for everything he received from others and knew how to appreciate even the smallest gesture of faith and goodwill.

Wouldn’t it be great if we all had this kind of personality? It would definitely be a better world.

"God, thanks for a great day and the opportunity to witness to others. I appreciate the humbling lesson I learn each time I go under the bridge. Lord, please bless the homeless in our city. Give them shelter, and safety. Show them your incredible love and let them find salvation and solice in you. Amen."

No comments: