July 30, 2007

The First Day of the Week

Monday. It strikes terror in the hearts of even the strongest of us. Mislabeled the first day of the week, it’s also the most hated. We’ve forgotten that the first day of the week is actually Sunday. Yup, it’s true. I know you don’t believe me, so check your calendar. No not Outlook, it squishes Saturday and Sunday together. I’m talking about an old fashioned, hanging on the wall, have to manually flip to the next month calendar. These are my wife’s favorite. She doesn’t like the Palm Pilot I gave her a few years ago. She says it’s impersonal. She likes to look at her hanging calendar and see the diary entries she’s made on it. It’s cute, but hard to carry around.

But anyway, Sunday is the first day of the week.

I realize this is of little comfort for those who are “allergic” to Mondays. The day still comes whether we like it or not, rain or shine, Armageddon or not. But I’ve made friends with Monday. I start the day by talking to God and asking him for a good week and opportunities. Opportunities that people will notice the smile on my face and ask how I keep such a good attitude on a Monday. That’s all the chance I need to tell them that God runs my Monday, not my job. With Christ living in me I can’t help but have a good day, and if they’d like to try it I’d be happy to introduce them.

So I look forward to Mondays because of the possibilities of the week. I can't wait to see what God has planned next.

“God, thanks for my job. It’s a gift and I enjoy it every day. And thanks for Mondays; it’s the start of another week full of opportunities to tell people at work about you.”

1 comment:

Jovon the Climber :o) said...

I'd be ok with Mondays if they came later in the week; of course, I also wish mornings didn't happen until after lunch, but that's another story.

;-)