July 24, 2007

Minority Report

I just got home from the super market. Yes, it’s after 9PM. That’s usually the best time to go because it’s less crowded. Tonight there were even fewer people because it’s raining, so everyone with any sense was at home snug and warm.

It’s been raining a lot here actually. Unusually a lot. In fact, it’s rained 2-3 hours a day for over 3 months now! It’s been raining so much that animals are starting to line up 2 by 2 in front of my house.

But I digress. Back at the super market in the checkout line I noticed the usual cluster of gossip rags. Apparently Lyndsay has been arrested again. Tori Spelling is selling her jewelery on HSN, and Kelly Clarkson apologized to someone for something that nobody really cares about. They also had a magazine that said it had “End of Days Secrets!”

That’s a coincidence… so do I.

Some Christians probably never really fully grasp the fact that they know how all of this turns out. We’ve all read the book and know the real ending. I wish I could change it and save everyone like Bruce Willis always does, but this time the story rules are different. The writer of this story knew the end before the world began, and its course will be played out just as it’s written. So I can’t change it no matter how much I’d like to save everyone.

I try though, I can’t help it. I do the same thing at the movies. It’ll be a flick I’ve seen a million times but I’ll still yell at the guy to look behind the door because I know there’s a monster there. He never listens to me though and suffers the consequences by getting his face eaten off.

I want the world to avoid this fate. It’s like the movie “Minority Report”. Tom Cruise sees his future foretold by 3 “Precogs” who say he is going to commit murder. However, he finds out that sometimes one of the Precogs will see an alternate future. This “minority report” is thrown out though because it doesn’t match the other two. So Tom sets out to find his minority report and clear his name.

Like Tom Cruise, I keep hoping for a minority report so maybe there will be an alternate future for the world.

But you know something, there is.

All you have to do to create your minority report is accept and trust Jesus as your personal savior. It’s that simple. You don’t have to run from the bad guys and crash cars or scale buildings like Tom Cruise; all you have to do is reach out for the truth, the truth that there is a loving God who wants to be in your life and change it, permanently.

“God, I pray for the opportunity to meet those who have not met you, to encounter those who haven’t found the truth of your word, and the ability to introduce you in a way that gives them the opportunity to experience you.”

No comments: