January 21, 2009

Replacing Hope

The other day I dusted off some old recordings of music I produced long before Christ came into my life. A line in one of the songs says “In my life it seems, I’ve had to sell my dreams, just to pay off all my hopes.”

I don’t remember what my frame of life was when I put that line to paper, but it struck me as odd. Odd because hope isn’t really something I do anymore. I’ve replaced it with prayer.

Hope is a simple human perspective. We’ve all used the word… “I hope it’s a good day,” “I hope I get a promotion,” “Keep hope alive!” In one fashion or another we’ve all hoped for something.

But if you think about it, the act of “hoping” has never made anything come true. But on the other hand, prayer has.

Jesus once said “But if you stay joined to me and my words remain in you, you may ask any request you like, and it will be granted!” John 15:7.

Let’s see “hope” do that.

Hope may be an action, but prayer produces action. So replace hope with prayer, and the next time you feel like hoping for something, pray for it instead.

Talk to God, I guarantee you will see results.

“God, I pray for a good day today. Thank you for listening to me. I know you give according to my true needs. Everything I receive is from you, everything I have is yours, and everything I am is because of your grace and love. Amen.”

2 comments:

Kyle Burkholder said...

Check out this book...

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Answer-Our-Prayers-Ordinary/dp/0830836225

I hope you like it. ;)

Anonymous said...

The Word says something like, "Hope deferred sucks the marrow from the bones." Prayer fulfills our hope and gives us reason to hope for a better tomorrow. Thx. BL