January 12, 2009

Cell Phones and Driving: the new Drinking and Driving

The National Safety Council came out today and said talking on a cell phone while driving should be banned, even with a hands-free device.

I have to agree that talking on a cell phone while driving is dangerous. I’ve almost been run over on my motorcycle a few times by drivers who were too busy talking on the phone to realize I was there. Luckily I’m prepared for this kind of event and have my idiot radar on full-blast when I’m on my bike.

I don’t agree that using a hands-free is dangerous though. Think about it, how is this any more dangerous than talking with someone who is sitting in the car with you? Actually, it’s safer because think about what you do when you talk to someone… you LOOK at them, right? With a hands-free device you’re not distracted by looking at a passenger, and you can concentrate on the road and have the same conversation.

So the answer is… ban passengers.

Just kidding, the answer is that you can’t police morons with licenses. Someone is going to use a cell phone whether they’re legal or not. They’re ingrained in our society now.

What they need to do is figure out a way to disable the ability to text message while you’re driving! Seriously, all phones should be paired with your vehicle so texting is automatically turned off while the engine is running. It blows me away to see someone going down the road typing a text message while going 80 MPH through heavy traffic. All I can think of is how I hope they’re an organ donor, and that hopefully there will be something left to donate after the crash.

I can remember the phone in our house when I was a kid, had a rotary dial on it! Now I not only have several wireless house phones, but I also carry two cell phones: one for work, and one for me. It’s pathetic, really. But I can’t help it, I’m a 21st century, wired kind of guy.

No comments: