September 7, 2008

11

It’s almost the anniversary. You know which one. I was flipping around the channels tonight and the movie “United 93” was just starting. I didn’t see the flick when it was in the theaters. I had no desire to watch helplessly as those people died again. It’s been seven years since their deaths, Sept 11, 2001. A day chiseled into 2,974 head stones, suddenly ending innocent lives. They were just trying to go through their day. They didn’t know. No one knew. How could we know that such evil would visit this country.

I watched the movie. I don’t know why. I sat riveted as the memories of that day sparked in my mind. I was in the military back then, stationed in San Antonio. I started my day later than usual because I was in training that week and didn’t have to be there until 9am. I got in my car and turned on the radio and heard the DJ saying “If you are anywhere near a TV, turn it on now!” He had just witnessed the second plane hit the Trade Center.

My class was in the same building that I worked, but on a different floor. I ran up to my Unit first and checked in. There wasn’t much I could do, so I went to class. I honestly don’t remember a single thing they taught that day. I kept trying to get on CNN’s web site, but it had crashed because so many people were trying to view it.

I kept running up to my Unit during breaks to get a look at the TV. I saw replay after replay of the towers falling. I can’t imagine the horror inside those buildings. How bad must it have been that 200 people decided it would be better to jump from over 100 stories up than stay in there?

I’ll never forget that day, and as the movie came to a close with the passengers attacking the terrorists in the cockpit, the camera angle went out the pilot’s window and the ground came speeding towards them. At the moment of impact the screen went black, and I broke down and cried.

Seven years ago all of our lives changed, and I think we all need a reminder of the evil that’s out there, waiting for us to drop our guard. As John McCain said during his acceptance speech as a protester tried to disrupt the convention, “Don’t be distracted by the ground noise and static.”

Don’t be distracted. They’re out there, patiently waiting because they know America has a short attention span, and it’s just a matter of time before they find a new way to get to us unless we stand our post, and pray.

Pray ceaselessly.

No comments: