December 20, 2008

Reconciling Truth

I’ve been challenged lately to look at what being a Christian is. I’ve written several times about subjects that play down certain ideals, but I don’t want anyone to think that I’m not progressive, or that I don’t think outside the typical evangelical box. So I think I’ll try to explain my feelings on religion.

The Bible is the Word of God. If I don’t believe it, in its entirety, then I don’t think I could ever claim it’s truths as being relative.

I’m a New Testament Christian. I believe Christ was here to be a sacrifice so that we can be forgiven for our sins, and that we have a New Covenant which changes a lot of things as related by the Old Testament. Not the teachings of God, but the fallacies of man.

I believe that I’m here to tell people about the saving grace of Jesus Christ, no matter who they are. I love them regardless of their ideals, and I will always try to be a light that shines in His name for others to see.

I don’t believe that I should set aside the truths of the Bible for any reason. So I cannot vote for leaders who have values contrary to Biblical teachings. I can, and will, pray for them if they win; and if given the opportunity I will discuss with them how Christ can change their lives.

I cannot reconcile liberalism and Biblical beliefs. Christ is not a liberal. He is God incarnate, and God’s Word is specific and undeniable. Christ spent His life teaching. He worked specifically with the dregs of society: murderers, thieves, prostitutes, etc. Not because He was a liberal, but because they needed Him the most. But he never strayed from the Biblical teachings of God’s Word.

There’s a fine line between displaying a kind heart, and standing up for what you know is right. I have a kind heart because Christ lives in me. But like Christ, I will not stand down from what is right, and true, and God led. And if that causes controversy, then I’m in good company, because Christ was killed for that very reason.

“God, please give me the strength to stand up for the truths of your Word, and the wisdom to know what those truths truly are. Amen.”

1 comment:

archie said...

I love the prayers you add at the end of your post. It is where your heart is "filleted" open.

I tend to not want controversy tied to my name, but it seems I and hopefully God (being a part of it) has not allowed that to happen. With controversy comes pain. Sometimes, I tire of the pain, but choose to keep the faith.