April 23, 2009

Act your wage

I keep hearing about a recession that is supposed to be crippling America, and most of the world. I looked outside, but didn’t see it. I checked my garage, the cars are still there. I checked my savings account, yup, still something in it. I went to work and I still have a job. I went by the church and it’s still full of people. I got my paycheck and it’s still as much as it was last month. I drove to the Fiesta celebration and people are still participating. Hmmm. I can’t seem to find this recession.

I know I’m making light of this, and I also know that it has touched the lives of many people. I just wanted to make a point that it can be your choice not to participate in the recession.

The reason it hasn’t touched my life is because I’ve recession proofed my life. I live within my means and follow some very simple rules for using my money. Here they are:

  1. Give faithfully. It is not a coincidence that the more I give to God’s work, the more I seem to be blessed with extra money at the end of the month.
  2. Don’t live on credit. Americans have been sucked into the world of materialism so much that they think it’s “stuff” that makes them somebody. It doesn’t, you’re still the same person you were before you bought that cool car. But now you’re totally broke.
  3. Save for a rainy day. The “rainy” days are here in the form of a depressed economy. But even if the business I work for is affected and I lose my job, I’ll be ok for quite some time because I’ve put money away to cover my expenses for several months.
  4. Pay it off! Take steps to get rid of your bills. You can make extra payments on your loans and credit cards, you just make excuses why making the minimum payment is the only thing you can do. Bull biscuits! Just cut back on eating out a few times a month and you’ll have that extra house payment!
  5. Put down the credit card and slowly step away from it! Seriously, either cut up the cards or learn self control. Because the alternative is what you’re experiencing now.

All this isn’t hard. It’s a matter of self control, something we Americans have little of. But I guarantee you’ll feel a whole new sense of freedom that you’ve never experienced once you’ve paid off your credit cards, your car, and even your house. Your view on life will change dramatically, I promise.

So live within your means, not your desires, and act your wage!

“God, thanks for your many blessings in my life. All that I have is yours, and I will do my best to be a good steward of it. Give me wisdom to use your resources wisely. And God, please help those who have been hurt by this recession. Guide our leaders to make wise fiscal decisions so our economy can grow, and give us strength to endure the lean times. Amen.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are right on!