June 27, 2008

Free Ride

I was driving to an appointment today and it occurred to me how compartmentalized we’ve become. Our cars are a complete world within itself, each with its own little eco system. We whiz down the road in comfort with air conditioning, a nice stereo for listening to our favorite tunes, lights for driving in darkness, navigation to help us find our way, and Bluetooth connectivity so we can call family and friends with the utterance of a simple command, “call wife.”

It’s the same living with Christ. The life of a Christian is its own little world that sustains itself. Our churches are the eco systems that help make our lives comfortable. The Bible helps us navigate our way through life, even in darkness. Through bad weather we are protected by His grace and mercy. We even have our own form of Bluetooth, the prayer, which gives us direct connectivity to God, who unlike my family and friends, always answers the call.

Before Christ was in my life, I felt as if I was traveling in an old jalopy, ready to break down at any moment leaving me on the side of the road, with no insurance.

Now I feel protected as I whiz down the road of life, knowing that no matter what comes my way I have the best AAA program there is.

What are you driving?

“God, thank you for your presence in my life, and for protecting and guiding me through this lifetime. Tell your son thanks for paying for the ride before I ever started driving. Amen.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You say, "Our churches are the eco systems that help make our lives comfortable".

Makes me think....

We are the church. We are the eco system that helps make others live's comfortable. There may be great truth in the statement. But is it God's intent for us as the church to make other's lives comfortable?

I think so. I think no. What will it be? I think live is a 'bowl of cherries'. :)