January 1, 2008

Welcome to 2008!

“Hi God, I just wanted to wish you a Happy New Year. I know it’s probably old-hat for you considering you’ve been here since, well, forever. I have no concept of what that’s like. Maybe when I get up there you could tell me how it was.

I’m excited about the New Year, and I appreciate you letting me stick around Earth to see it. If you have a minute, I’d like to talk to you about a few things.

I know the Bible says this world will continue to slowly spin out of control, so it doesn’t surprise me that the news is full of bad things. I still can’t help but pray for the things that I wish could be different though.

It’s an election year here. I can’t stand politics because of the way our two party system has degenerated into nothing more than a constant fight between two factions. It isn’t just a disagreement in ideals anymore; it’s pure, seething hatred for each other that has this country in complete political gridlock. The only thing that separates the Democrats and Republicans from the Shiites and Sunnis is that the Americans don’t blow themselves up.


There doesn't seem to be anything constructive getting done in Washington anymore because they’re spending their time trying to overtly disparage the opposite party. Even if they’re right the opposing party disagrees with them as a matter of course now.

So I pray for our government, God. Please help them see past their political hatred and do something that will be meaningful and helpful to this great country.

I also want to pray for our military. They’re a pawn in the political dealings of this country, so they don’t get a choice of whether they can be home or not. It’s a hazard of the job, but it’s one they gladly accept and I praise you for their undeniable bravery. Please be with them all as they continue to fight for freedom.

I also need your help with me. I can’t thank you enough for saving me 5 years ago, and I want to serve you with all I have to offer. Please continue to lead me. I promise to follow.

Thanks, and have a great year. Amen.”

No comments: