December 3, 2007

Driver's Education

For a lot of Christians one of the hardest things to do is to have a Christian attitude every second of the day. And although it is not required that we be perfect, we should always strive for an even temperamental keel as we go through our day.

One of the greatest teachers I’ve had for learning to apply my faith is traffic. We’ve all been there, going down the road and suddenly everything comes to a crawl. Then some inconsiderate person comes whipping around the traffic and tries to shove their way into your lane and you find yourself flipping a mental coin to either let them merge or make them find another place to get in line because they don’t deserve to be in front of you.

I’m guilty of letting "Tails" be on my coin too many times. Traffic is aggravating and sometimes down right infuriating. I used to hate my drive to work because I always got into a competition with everyone, as if we were vying for the pole position at the Indy 500 or something.

But as Christ becomes more personal to me I find my attitudes changing. I don’t have the mindset of “I have to be in front of everyone” when I drive anymore. Well, 90% of the time. Like I said before, I’m not perfect.

But I’ve found a great sense of satisfaction in letting people into traffic when it’s really not their turn to merge. I know that I’ll get where I’m going, and letting this person in isn’t going to change that. In fact, it may even make their day better.

I also appreciate those very courteous drivers who wave when you let them in. It’s a small gesture of gratitude that I’m sure everyone appreciates.

So as you’re driving down the road this week, try two things:

1. When you see a blinker aimed at your lane, go out of your way to let them in. That's right, let everyone get in front of you. It’s a humbling act that will change you.
2. Wave every time someone lets you merge. It’s an appreciative act that might change them.

Have an interesting week!

“God, thanks for the simple lessons you’ve taught me that continue to change me into the person you want me to be. Amen."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, He's brought me through Traffic 101 a few times as well. I have to admit its more peaceful to take the Presbyterian perspective of traffic (its out of my hands and I know I'll get there), and, to sacrifice my will to serve my fellow trafficteers (who, through no direct act of their own, find themselves in desperate need of a good Samaritan) can bring a warm satisfactory moment to an otherwise less pleasant part of my day. However, things seems to dramatically intensify when some self-serving arrogant hotshot decides its his divine right to pass everyone who is politely waiting in line, and then has the audacity to assault you in every imaginable (and unimaginable) way for insinuating that he should not be allowed, neigh, welcomed to cut in line.

Is it selfish of me to ask the Lord NOT to flatten two of his tires so I don't have to swallow my pride to help him?

...rhetorical question, of course ;-)