November 24, 2007

The Great White North

Greetings from Seattle, Washington. We made it here safely Wednesday night. It took a little longer than anticipated because of flight delays and because we were redirected from L.A. to Denver.

The first thing I noticed as we landed in Denver is that they have something we don't have in Texas... the NORTH! It was cold. Really cold. 25 degrees! And there was strange white stuff all over everything.

I walked off the plane without a coat thinking I was just going up the boarding ramp to the terminal, how cold could it be? Oy, now I know why I live in the South. I got to the end of the ramp and immediately stopped and pulled my jacket out of my backpack, and it's been on ever since... even in bed!

Denver's airport is pretty big. We walked through the terminal foraging for food and saw signs saying the restaurants were upstairs, so we walked to the escalators where something interesting was happening. Apparently the escalator that was supposed to carry people to the second story was broken. People were literally standing around looking at the motionless stairs like they didn't know what to do. You could almost tell what was going through their minds by looking at the expression on their faces, "I don't understand, it's not moving? What do we do now, how will we get upstairs?"

My wife and I excused ourselves through the crowd and began walking up the stairs. As I reached the top I looked back only to find that one other couple had decided to brave the manual task of walking up the stairs. Sheesh, we're seriously becoming a lazy society. This was highlighted even more as we walked around a mall in downtown Seattle yesterday. I saw a kid who was probably 10 years old and weighed about 100 pounds go zipping by on wheels that were built into his tennis shoes. I thought "That's perfect, the kid's health is already in serious danger, so let's put wheels on his shoes just to make sure he doesn't accidentally get some excercise by walking."

Anyway, we've been having a nice visit in Seattle. The weather has been clear, but cold, and tomorrow my wife will run her marathon. I wonder if anyone would notice if I installed wheels on her running shoes?

"God, thanks for the safe trip and a wonderful Thanksgiving. Be with everyone running the marathon tomorrow. Let their legs be strong and their will to finish get them home. Amen."

No comments: